Sunday, February 10, 2008

Emily - Week 3 MTC

Ok so most of you have probably already heard that I didn't get my visa. Jess has probably started a phone tree letting everyone know the news. I was really sad when I found out we weren't leaving. Two Elders in my branch who have been waiting nine weeks got theirs and then an Elder that came with us got his. The two Elders that have been here for nine weeks were actually reassinged to AZ but then the next day they got their visas, it was crazy. I guess its just the pick of the draw because the Elder in our district who has been here the same amount of time is leaving with them. We just wait at least nine weeks and then if we never hear anything we get reassigned.....ahhhhhh! I really want to go to Spain!

They are fixing things in the building that I first moved into and so all of the girls from that building got moved into another building. It use to be just my comp. and I in a room which was really nice and now it is us plus four other girls in a boys apartment. They pretty much just stacked three bunk beds up on top of each other and nailed three little mirrors into the wall! The bathroom we are using is a mens bathroom and there are usually about 10-15 girls waiting for showers, sinks and bathrooms no matter what time of day it is. I am usually in a pretty good mood until I walk into the bathroom and see 500 girls running around screaming waiting. Usually we have to wait to use a sink after we go to the bathroom. Oh ya and another great thing about our new room is that its right by the vending machine and so there are always a million girls in front of our room stuffing their faces and yelling at the top of their lungs because of a sugar high. I really enjoyed my old room with just my comp. and I but I will adjust to our new room once I take out a few girls!(maybe you shouldn't post this e-mail on the blog) No I am kidding its really not that bad but it is a change.

Oh here is a great story that will really help you see what it is like to be in a buildking with 200 girls. Last night I got really mad at my roommates because I thought their alarm clocks were going off. But actually it was the fire alarm at 11:00 at night. Everyone should be in bed with the lights out. Everyone ran out of the building in their pjs and we all stayed in the gym for an hour waiting to hear what happened. As I was walking quite calmly like Dad taught me to be in an emergency I hear girls tumbling down the stairs screaming for the companions and crying. While I was joking around about it probably being a burnt bag of popcorn! Guess what I was right. Some girls were up past their bed time and they burnt a bag of popcorn and tried to hide it. It was hilarious!

The other day my comp. and I decided to teach lesson 1 in the TEC for practice before we did our last appt. in the TRC. We had kind of had a bad day and I kind of had the attitude of lets just go in their and get it over with. We had gotten really good at teaching lessong 1 and our teacher actually asked us to teach our district lesson 1 as an example. So anyways we went in with kind of the wrong attitude and we fumbled through the whole lesson, it was horrible. The Spirit wasn't a part of the lesson at all. The next day we tried to pull things together and figure out what it was that we needed to change before we taught lesson 1 for the last time in the TRC. Just a reminder the TRC is where fake investigators come in and you teach them while your teacher critiques you. So we read and studied about teaching with Spirt and tried to change our approach. The lesson was amazing I felt like we were teaching a totally different lesson. We have been practing memorizing Joseph Smith's first vision and I really wanted to recite it in this lesson for practice it would be the first time trying to do it with out any notes. The first couple of words I felt a little shaky and then they just fell out of mouth and it wasn't even coming from memorization, I didn't even have to think about what I was saying. As I was reciting the first vision the room turned white and there was this focus on just the investigator. I don't even know how to explain it but it was amazing. The power behind those words is really amazing. I guess I always knew that Joseph was a Prophet because I knew the Book of Mormon was true but through studying lesson 1 of PMG I have gained such a strong testimony of what happened to that boy in 1820. He really did see God and Jesus Christ and we are so blessed to have the truth, its wonderful. I love the first lesson, its all about how much God loves us. Today we teach the first part of lesson 2. We will see how it goes, I am a little nervous but of course that is how I felt about teaching lesson 1 at first too.

My comp. kind of reminds me of Jessica its really funny. When we go in to teach she wants to follow the lesson plan exactly and she has an exact outline that she follows and she usually never strays from it. I on the other hand go in their with a little bit of an outline but not all the way pulled together. But she has such an amazing mind she knows so much and she knows exactly where to go to the scriptures for answeres. I feel like exactly what I wanted to learn to be a better miss. she has and what she wants I feel I have. We are teaching each other so much. I have helped her stray from her lesson plan and she has helped me learn the scriptures. Its been an amzaing companionship!

I loved seeing you Jess, you look so cute! I love you all so mcuh and I think about you all the time. We are so blessed and Im so glad that I have you all for eternity.Ok really quickly I am going to try and answer a few questions but I only have a couple minutes.Brother I asked the Elders if they wished they would have brought anyting and the only thing they could come up with was sandals for the shower and an electric razor. Really you don't need to much just missionary clothes. Im so excited for you to get here. This really is a special place. I love you so much your going to be amazing you have prepared yourself so well.Okay my time is almost up I was going to try and answer more questions, oh well. I love you guys I better get lots of letters this week!

love, Emily (Hermana Gogarty)

No comments: