Monday, April 7, 2008

Emily - Santander Week 3

4.7.08

Ok Hello Everyone:

At my apartment I got letters three days in a row from Sarah, Mom (Logan), and Jess. Then on Thursday President came to Santander for interviews and brought me like 10 letters from mom, one from Grandma G. and one from Tiff. A few of them were from like the MTC I think and forwarded. Anyways it was awesome to finally be the missionary that got way to much mail. Everyone in my district was really mad at me. It was so nice to get so much mail. Your letters save me.

I don´t think anyone could understand what a letter means to you unless they have served a mission before. To start off I will tell you that I´m in Bilbao. We came up yesterday for conference and then stayed the night with the sisters here. I got to watch part in English and part in Spanish. I can´t wait until I get the Ensign in English. You rely on things like that a lot when your a missionary. Anyways it was fun to meet all the missionaries in my zone. Today we all went on a little trip together that the miss. call capilla on the rocks. It was so beautiful and it was like a couple hour walk. Its an old church out on this huge bolder in the ocean. I got some amazing pictures but its going to be a while before you see them because I´ve only taken like 150 and I still have like 1000 before me card is full. I can´t explain to you how beautiful it is here. A miss. that has been to Ireland said on our drive today that what we were seeing is what Ireland looks like. I can´t wait to come back here with you.

On Thursday like I said we had interviews with President. As soon as I walked into the room and sat down I just started balling. I´ve been a little more than overwhelmed lately and I, like always took it out on my body. I got a bunch of cold sores and my body was just totally whacked out. Anyways it was so nice to talk to President. I realized that while we were talking I started taking deeper breaths and relaxing a little bit. I am so thankful for the power of the Priesthood. What a blessing!

I wish I could have understood all of conference but I will be able to get the Ensign soon hopefully. What I heard in English I loved. I must say as I watched President Thomas S. Monson there is no doubt in my mind that he is a Prophet of God. Gordon B. Hinckley has been the Prophet that I have known my whole life and it was kind of weird for me to think of President Monson as the Prophet. But as he stood at the pulpit a feeling that I can´t describe ran through my whole body as I listened to him speak. I know he is a Prophet of God and that the authority he has was restored through Joseph Smith. As I was watching conference and looking at all those men that help run the church I felt deeply grateful for all the service they do. Our church runs so smoothly because Jesus Christ is at the head of it, not men. They help and serve but it was just obvious to me as I watched how smoothly things came together after the death of our Prophet, that our church is run by God. We are so blessed to have the truth and to have the Priesthood.

I realized in conference that as they were welcoming everyone one from around the world that I am part of that. When ever I see the ocean I freak out as I realize over and over again where I live. It hits me really hard sometimes and sometimes I am so caught up in the work I forget where I´m at. But man when I see the ocean, I realize where I am and that I´m a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.There is of course so much more to tell you but no time.

I will finish with a funny story though that I think Dad will really appreciate and Coby. A couple days ago we were standing at the doors of an apartment building where we had an appointment. We were just getting ready to buzz their apartment and then we saw this ambulance flying down the road. Two wheels on the ground at a time. They pulled up in front of the same apartment building as we were at. Two good looking guys jumped out and tore the strecher out of the back. We moved out of the way as they came pushing past us. One of them was even running his hand through his hair, Baywatch style as he was running with the strecher LOL. Best part of the story is that after they buzzed the room a couple times. This mad lady opened her window and was like what do you want. They said didn´t you call an ambulance and she was like, No! They were on the wrong street. Weren´t even close to where they were suppose to be. I really hope I don´t have an emergency while Im here.

Anyways finally I had another funny story to tell. They are harder to come by now that Im not with Elders as much.Everyday I realize more and more that I´m exactly so much like Mom and Dad. MOM-The other day when I was standing by someones flower pot, I started pulling all the dead buds out. Dad-This week I went crazy on our piso. All of the clutter was driving me crazy. Crap has been left there from everyone. I threw so much stuff away and tore everything off the walls. I pushed a dresser out from off the wall and found a bunch of trash from who knows when. Anyways it felt so good to just throw eveything away. Dad I always cry when I read your letters and moms too. When you tell me not to cry it just makes me cry more. I sent you a little package with some pictures and a letter. Don´t worry I did some venting in that letter. There isn´t enough time to vent in the e-mail. Its impossible to describe everything that is happening to me right now. I wish I could record it all and share everything with you.

I love you all so much. Brother told me that he had an impression the other day that we would see each other while we were here. I pray that happens! I think a lot of miss. realize how much they love their families once they are out but I already knew before I left. Its hard to be away from you. Guess what only 35 days until I call. I hope your ready for an ear full. I hope you all know how much I love my Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ. Missionary work is hard but it doesn´t come close to comparison of what Jesus Christ did for us. I´m here doing this because I love God and I love my Savior. I pray for you all the time and think about you all the time. Please remember how much I love each one of you.

Love, Em (Hermana Gogarty)

No comments: