Monday, April 28, 2008

Emily - Santander Week 6

Hello Everyone That I love:
First things first after e-mail last Monday I went home and checked my box and I had a letter from Mom and Sister Yates. I loved the pictures of Sister´s party. Ah I still can´t believe that you are 16! Also I got a letter from mom on the 25th, it only took like four days to get here.

You asked about my companion. She is from Hurricane, UT and she goes home in six weeks. So I guess some pretty big news is that I finished my first transfer yesterday. I can´t really believe it. I have six more weeks with my trainer and then she goes home. Then another hermana will come and we will be here for two transfers together. President made it sound like after that I should be feeling pretty confident and ready to start in another city.

President and Sister DuVall came yesterday to church, it was a surprise. We don´t have a stake in Northern Spain so President DuVall is more than just a mission President, he has a lot to take care of. Anyways they changed our branch presidency. Our new branch pres. was the very 1st member in northern Spain and he has already been pres. twice. He is a good guy and really wants to see our branch become a ward. I would like to see that too. Hopefully he will really help the missionaries with the work. After church was over President and Sister DuVall visited with us for a while. We talked to them about one of our investigators that we need help with.

Remember Edna that lady I told you about that has a lot of problems. Well last week we challenged her to pray about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. On Friday we went to her house for a visit. We asked her how her reading and praying had gone through out the week. She told us that she enjoys reading the BofM because its easier for her to understand. We asked her if she had prayed about it and she told us that she believes Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the Book of Mormon is scripture. It was amazing and she is actually a really neat lady. I´m just a little bit worried about what things she has to overcome. She has a problem with almost every commandment. Her past is insane but she has changed a lot from how whe use to be. I hope that we can help her prepare for baptism. I know its possible but she just has to have a strong enough desire.

Remember the lady Toni that I´ve told you about. She taught us how to knit and so I´ve been making a scarf. She also teaches us how to make a Spanish meal every time we come over, its great. She kind of reminds me of you Mom. She treats us so kindly every time we come over. She feeds us like mad and then sends us home with a bunch of food. We brought her chocolate chip cookie dough and she loved it. She asked us a couple of questions last time we went over about what we teach. She is interested in us and our lives and so she is starting to ask questions. Little by little I think she will let us teach her. She really is amazing and she is a blessing. I look forward to going and seeing her every week. A couple weeks ago she found out that we were both sick and we didn´t call her, she was really mad.

A couple days ago the Elders almost got into a fight. The kids here are punks. They hang out in large groups smoking, drinking and swearing. They spit their gum out and throw their trash where ever they want. You can see in the morning where they were exactly because there is trash all over and big wads of gum all over the ground. They have no respect for anything and all the older people here talk about it all the time. I think they hate themselves because their parents don´t like them. Most people here have a dog instead of a child. The government is starting to pay people to have kids because the people that are immigrating here are taking over Spain. All of the older people here are from Spain but everyone else is from everywhere but Spain.

Anways this group of kids started yelling stuff at the Elders, which happens all day they said. But I guess one of the kids in this group jumped on Elder Kofe´s back and was trying to slam his head down. I don´t know what this kid was thinking Elder Kofe is a huge Tongan. The kid kept pushing him from behind and they just kept walking. Elder Kofe was going crazy because his culture is all about respect and he wanted to just pound the kid. Finally he turned around and started walking towards him and the kid ran and came back. Elder Kofe tried to just shake his hand and the kid just kept slapping his hand. So I guess the Elders just walked off. Like ten minutes later this guy came up to him and was like I saw what you did, I´m really impressed that you didn´t jsut take that kid out. He also told them that he called the police. I´m really proud of the Elders for not beating the crap out of that kid even though I kind of wish they did but I know it wouldn´t have done any good. Elder Kofe goes to Bilbao on Wednesday and we get another greeny. Then Elder Hatch and Hermana LeBaron go home together.

On Sunday after church we went to a home of two single women in the ward. They have us over every other week. They told us their history with the church and when they were baptized. There are a lot of good women here in Spain that aren´t married because there aren´t very many men. One of them has lost a little boy and the other has lost all her family. Its jsut the two of them here is Spain together. One is from Ecuador and the other from Columbia. AS they were talking to us and telling us their stories I was in awa at how strong they are and how blessed I am to have all of you.

We were born and raised in a country where we can work, make a living, have a home and a family. I have all of you that love me and that I´m sealed to for eternity. I love you all so much and I´m so thankful that the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored. We have a prophet who holds all the keys of the priesthood. WE have temples where we can make sacred covenants and be sealed to our families forever. I love each one of you with all my heart.

I have a couple questions. I´m wondering when I should call exactly. Is Logan calling? If he is calling, what time is he calling? Also, what time do you have church? I can´t wait to visit with you I think we only have two weeks until I call. Mom remember before I left when we were talking about when I would call for Mother´s day. Can you believe that is already happening?

Okay my time is up! Dad thank you for your letter as always. I´m excited to read your talk. Slam Them...Yahhhhhh! Thats what I like to hear. Your wonderful and you have a wonderful wife. Sisters: Sarah where the crap are you? I haven´t heard from you in a while and I think its because you started dating, that is NOT okay. I love you and I need to know everything that is going on. Jess- how are you? Did you know that your having a baby in two months? I love you! Coby- haven´t heard from you either you piece of crap. I bet there is a letter in the mail for me fromy you. Brother Logan- President Hill totally eats like Grandpa Gogarty. I noticed that too, its crazy they are alike in a lot of ways. You should give President Hill some almonds and see how he eats them or popcorn. I love you brother and I´m so proud of you. Thank you for being so strong. I´m so glad we get to do this together. Okay I really better go now, I love you all with all my heart! I miss you too!

Love, Em(Hermana Gogarty)

No comments: