Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Emily - Vigo Week 6

2.9.09

Hello my family...
Well another week has gone by. I got letters from the Fox family and sister Sarah. I have emails from Dad and my dear Grandma Gogarty.
Mom I didnt get a letter from you this week and I didnt know what to do with myself. Sister is lucky that hers showed up, otherwise she would have gotten a major beating. I will probably beat her up when I get home either way. Just think, I will have a year and a half of frustration built up.
In an email from President today he told us that this winter has been the coldest/wettest winter in 70 years. I could have told you that. IM FREEZING! It rains every single day. I will not live in a place where it rains a lot ever again. I cant believe how much it has affected me. Ive heard it will start warming up in June when I go home!
I got my residency paper work today. On wednesday I will got stand in the street, in a line, for 3-4 hours, at 6 in the morning. I will have permission to live here for two years and work. DONT WORRY though mom Im coming home in June.
The other day I was sitting at my desk and I felt the need to yell your name and see if you would answer. Im pretty sure my greenie thinks that Ive lost my mind and I think I have. I really wanted a mom hug on Saturday. I had a rough day. The mission really allows you to see very clearly all of your weaknesses. I have a lot to work on. I think you know what they are before the mission but on the mission because you deal so much with people your weaknesses are easily seen. Im a big procrastinator and Ive got to do better.
Ricky continues to amaze me. We taught him the law of chastity and had planned to teach the WOW also and he basically started teaching us about it. When I asked him if he would live the law of chastity now and after his baptism he was like ah duh. He pretty much already knows what we are going to teach and already agrees with it all. He had a pretty crazy life in Nigeria but realized that he didnt like where he was at so he started studying the bible. He tells us how important it is to pray before studying so that you interpret the scriputres correctly. I think because he has always been guided by the spirit in his studies that he has prepared himself for receiving the gospel. He really already understands everything before we teach. Everytime we talk about his baptism he gets thee biggest smile on his face. He is so excited and he is taking everything so seriously. I dont even worry if he is going to come to church or not. When we were teaching about enduring to the end I asked him how we endure to the end. He said well you go to church, read the scriptures, pray and live the commandments. I asked well sometimes its hard to go to church every sunday what do we do when its harder to live the commandments. He looked at me in the eyes and said there is a time for play a time for work and a time for worship. Sunday is the day we worship and if you dont want to go that is Satan trying to keep you from doing what is right. We must go to church every Sunday. Wow perfect answer thank you Ricky. I always leave our visits like with my mind in another world, its crazy. He is so prepared and I know he is really going to help the church grow in some way.
Ana is doing pretty well. We stopped by on Wednesday to see how they were doing. They made us hot cocoa and arepas. We talked about some questions Manuel had in the BOM. He thinks that the book is 90 percent history with wars and problems and 10 percent of doctrine. Ive never seen someone see the book in that way. I know its a book of history but everything in it can be applied to our lives. My mission has really helped me to learn how to do that. I shared a verse with them that was an answer to a prayer. I testified that the book is not just a history book, it is a sacred book written by prophets. EVERYTIME I testify the room gets totally silent. I know he can feel the spirit and it bugs him. He doesnt know what to say back to me after I testify so he usually gets up and gets some more food. Ana just sits back quietly and takes everything in. She understands everything very well and that also bugs him. Faith is so simple but so hard for him to understand. They didnt come to church but we will stop by again this week and try to help them feel the love that their Heavenly Father has for both of them.
We did a service project this week for a lady that was recently baptized. Her house was a dumpster. She hasn´t thrown anything away for 10 years. We spent three hours throwing away trash in one room. When she left I just threw everything I picked up into the trash. I like having service to do because its nice to do some work and feel useful. Sometimes its hard to recognize your efforts teaching/finding.
We stopped and visited an awesome family last night. They lived in the states for a little while so they speak/understand english pretty well. It was really nice for my greenie to be able to talk and joke around. I remember how hard that was to not be able to have a realationship wiht anyone but your comp. They told us they want to have us over for some Mexican food. I dont think they realize how much they mean to us. Its so nice to just be in a home for an hour with a good family. The daughter is going to help us with a visit this week and I invited her to live at our house this summer.
Well I sure love you and I sent a good letter with some pictures last week, you should get it soon. I know the church is true there is no doubt in my mind. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love our family!
love,
The Sister

No comments: