Monday, April 6, 2009

Emily - Vigo Week 14

4.6.09

Hi Family...
Well I didnt know my letters were so famous. Sorry for not getting one out last week. I got a little distracted.
Conference was awesome and its amazing how much stuff like that means to us as missionaries. You know the verse in the bible that says they looked in every corner of the earth for the word of God, well we pretty much did that trying to watch conference. I was a little frustrated because we cant see it in our capilla. On Saturday we watched it in a cyber, paid about 6 euros and listened to hard rock music in the back round. Sunday we traveled a couple hours to Santiago which was another 10 euros and watched Saturday afternoon but then had to come back because we would have gotten home late if we stayed for the next one. So my comp. and I came to a cyber and paid another 5 euros again to watch Sunday morning next to someone chatting over webcam and drinking a beer. Ive never had watching conference be such an adventure but Im glad we were able to see some of it. While watching in the cyber all I could think about is the other people around us. They were chatting, listening to music and we were listening to a PROPHET OF GOD. My headphones werent working for a little bit and I asked one of the guys to help me. He put them on while Presidnet Monson was talking and I just wanted to tell him and everyone else in the cyber STOP WHAT YOUR DOING AND LISTEN TO A LIVING PROPHET SPEAK. Im so grateful to know that he is a Prophet. I truly felt nourished by the good word of God and I thought about you and how you were watching conference too.
In a visit this week with a girl from Romania while I was teaching about prophets I asked her if there were a living prophet on the earth today what would you ask him. She was like well I have lots of questions but I think I would ask where did we come from. Almost EVERY time I have asked that question on my mission the person we are teaching has always had a question about the plan of salvation. I have realized over and over again how blessed we are to really know where we came from, what our purpose in this life is and where we can go after this life. I love the gospel and Im so thankful for the covenants Ive made and that mom and dad have made.
We had a visit set up with a Brazilian man but he fiared us. A friend from the capilla was with us because we needed another girl. We had packed lunch because we werent going to have enough time to go home before another visit. We invited our friend to eat with us in a park. I realized or I think anyways that we were actually suppose to be with her. We had fun eating with her in a park and I think she just needed a friend to talk to. I cant imagine being a young single here. She is all alone. I keep inviting her to live with us. She will find out in June if she gets her visa.
Well its back to rain. The sun came out for too long aka 3 days. I remember talking to an Elder after a zone conference it was his last. I asked him how he felt and the first thing he said was something like well Im just really excited to get rid of my umbrella and I hope to never see rain again. I was in my first transfer and I thought hmmm he must really hate the rain. I thought it was raining a lot too but I figured it was going to stop at some point in my mission. I talked to him a year ago this month and Im pretty sure its been raining since we talked last year.
Last week we all got to district meeting because we went straight to the capilla after sending off E. Gordon. Everyone was STARVING because we had all ran out of month money and hadnt gotten our money for the next month yet. We went to the store together and I had everyone chip in to buy stuff for breakfast burritos. I had them all going in the kitchen on different projects and we made a bunch of yummy burritos, they were so good. It was fun to eat with everyone and you could tell that it was the first time any of them had eaten anything other than sugar cereal for a LONG time.
Well thats all I can think of for now. I want all of you to know how much I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are so blessed to know what we know. Think of how much more peace we have in our minds knowing where we go after we die. Can you believe there is people that dont know the answers to questions that eat away at them for a long time. I know I lived with God before this life as a spirit. Im here to learn and keep the commandments which make me happy. If I endure to the end I will be able to live with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and my family. I can think of no greater gift. I love my Savior. He made it possible for me to be clean and live with the people, I love, in the next life.
I love you all and miss you a lot.
Love,
The Sister

1 comment:

Bryce and Breanna said...

Hello. I went to Ecuador with Emily about 5 years ago and I was wondering if you could let me know when she comes home from her mission. Thank you
Breanna Tycksen