Saturday, April 18, 2009

Emily - Vigo Week15

4.14.09

Hello Family...
Dad-I told Ricky about what you said about ties. He loved it and was laughing pretty hard. The members have been talking to me about his clothing. He wants to move to Austria and I hope he does because I know he will be able to participate more. He already wants to teach the gospel principles class. He is so funny.
Sorry you didnt get a letter yesterday. As you hopefully guessed I was at zone conference in Santiago. I cant believe I only have one more. It was kind of weird knowing that in my next conference I will be giving my goodbye testimony.
This week in district meeting we had a really nice testimony meeting. After the meeting is over our DL always gives us the opportunity to bear our testimonies. I think everyone felt very touched my conference and we all had something to say. On the way to the meeting I was talking to my comp. about some frustrations. Sometimes its hard to understand the minds of 19 year old boys. Anyways while we all bore our testimones all of my frustrations went away. I felt very foolish for the things that I had said. As we walked home I thought about how much that relates to when I will have my own family. I know there will be frustrations between my kids and I. Also between my husband and I but I know that as we kneel down together as a family everyday we will feel closer and feel the spirit together. I think it helps us to see each other as humans. I make mistakes just like they do but as we pray together we can feel that we are both doing our best to do what is right. Anyways I dont know if that makes sense but it something that I thought about this week.
On Sunday none of the five people that were suppose to come to church came. We stopped by one of them after church. We knocked and nobody answered. As we began to walk away another family that was coming to visit them came up to the door too. We talked to them and ended up jumping in their car with them. They toook us to their house and we had a nice visit. I guess the missionaries three years ago use to visit them. They said they prayed but never felt like they received an answer. I think she wants someone to write out for her which is the true church but we have to act on faith. They treated us very kindly and invited us to their Easter which is next week. Its funny to me over and over again how random things arent random to me anymore. I only realize they are random because of my companion. We got in a car with strangers and went to their house. Luckily they were good people. The mission is just full of adventures especially as a young 22 year old girl.
We ate with the Elders after church for Easter. I gave them assignments because well because they are boys. We brought mashed potatos with gravy and rolls. They brought chili and a chocolate egg for dessert, so funny. We set up an Easter egg hunt around the capilla. My comp. and I had so much fun watching them run around. There were six of them here becuase the ayudantes came for conference. Anyways we made them line up in the hall and then just sat back and watched. Each one got a chocolate egg with a toy inside. They sat around in the capilla like five year olds putting their toys together. We had a good time.
A man from Cambodia stopped us in the streets the other day and asked us where the church was. He was baptized in Portugal and went inactive. I invited him to church but he didnt come. I hope to stop by and be able to teach his family too. He was very kind and I could tell that he knew he was missing something.
I took my comp. on a little adventure the other day. Sometimes I just go a little crazy and need to get out of the buildings. We had contacted a lady and when we looked up her address on the map we found out that it was very far away. It was in our area but kind of in the outskirts. Anyways we probably walked a good 5 miles or more. I couldnt find the street and so I talked to a bunch of people on the way that had never seen us before. There was an agricultural group doing like a walk/hike together. We ended up walking with them for a while and talking to them a little about our purpose. Well they took us all around trying to find it and we still didnt have any luck. Well they were so good to help us that they talked to a family out in their lawn and their neighbors about where the street was. Before I knew it I had caused a bunch of commotion. We had about 20 people trying to help us find the street. I think we caused the most excitement that part of town has ever seen, it was pretty funny. We ended up finding the street but it didnt have much on it and we didnt have time to go too far down. I told my comp. we will go another day and she was like what on another Gogarty adventure.
We had a fabulous zone conference. President said exactly what I needed to hear, like always. It was fun to see everyone and talk with them. After conference was over I had a chance to talk to Hermana DuVall and she said some things that I needed to hear as well. It was like she said what mom would have said if she were here. We only talked for a minute because they had to leave but I gave her a big hug and told her thank you.
I realize that mission is coming closer and closer to the end. I of course have many feelings about finishing. Im so so so grateful for the opportunity that Ive had to be a missionary for Christ´s Church. I dont really know who I am anymore but I know so much better who I am now. I love the good news the gospel of Jesus Christ brings. I love my Savior Jesus Christ and Im so thankful to know that because of Him I will live again after death with my family. I know I represent His church, no doubt in my mind.
Love you all,
The sister

No comments: