Monday, April 27, 2009

Emily - Vigo Week 17

4.27.09

Dearest Family...I didnt get a single letter this week...you´re all in trouble. There better be a lot on the way. This week has been a little frustrating but I made it through. We got locked out of our piso, I almost got ran over by a scooter and a car, and we had one lesson. I will start with the scooter story. A couple days ago we were crossing a street with about 5 other people and a scooter sped through the crosswalk. I had my head turned and was talking to my companion. I heard the scooter getting closer too close but figured it would stop. I about took one more step and heard a little voice tell me to stop. I stopped, turned my head and it zoomed right past me. Im thankful for the Holy Ghost and the way it guides us. I dont remember if it was later that day or a couple days later that we again were crossing the street and almost got hit by a car. The light turned green for us and we began to cross. A car came flying around the corner and passed right next to us. One step further out and we would have been goners. We both kind of stopped at the same time. Heavenly Father is definately watching over us. On Friday I think it was my comp and I were walking down the street and all of a sudden she looked at me and said I need to check for the keys. We stopped and looked through her whole bag and could not find them. We didnt know if someone had stolen them or if they had fallen out. The Elders had to come to our area and they live very far away. They brought us a key but because it was a copy it wouldnt work. It fit but it wouldnt turn. Each one of us tried a bunch of times but we couldnt get in. Finally one of the Elders said well lets say a prayer. He said a really sweet prayer and we tried again. We tried so hard to turn it but it wouldnt budge. Then the Elder that said the prayer got up to try and while talking/laughing with us he opened it right up on the first try. He looked over at us and all of us started freaking out. We shook their hands, they left and we went to bed. I was a little worried because we live on a busy street and people know us. I didnt like the thought that someone might have our keys. I didnt sleep very well. The next morning I called one of the ladies we visit and she was like oh ya they are here. She was leaving that day for Romania to move home. Im still not sure why she didnt call. Anyways we stopped by and grabbed them from her a couple hours before she left. The power of a prayer really is incredible. We went to a new members meeting this week to translate for Ricky. I enjoyed the spirit that mom and dad enjoy every week in our house. It was so good to be with the new members and hear their pure testimonies. They are so grateful to be a part of the church. It was neat to hear their converstion stories. Larisa our friend that moved back to Romania this week has a sister in law that I really want to teach. We talked a lot when she was at Larisa´s house but I could never get her address. As soon as I would start to try and get it someone would distract her. Finally the day before Larisa left we stopped by and she was there alone. We visited for a minute and again just when she was about to give us her address another friend came by. We were getting ready to leave and I asked her about a word in Spanish. Well she didnt understand me and thought I was asking for her address again and gave it to me. She has a cute family. Her husband always waves to us when he sees us in the street. I hope that we can start teaching them as a family. Its amazing to me sometimes how hard Satan tries to keep people from the truth. We had a good visit this evening with a sweet lady from Columbia. She treated us so kindly and prayed for us before we left. She told me that she felt good because we leave her feeling peaceful. She works on Sundays like a lot of people here but I love teaching her. She is super sweet and I felt better after teaching her.My comp and I had a good talk this week that was much needed. We talked about how we can be better missionaries and how we can better share the load. I was getting very overwhelmed with everything. We divided the responsibilities and it will help me and her. It will help me relieve some stress and it will help her to feel more useful. It will also help her next comp. I felt much better after we talked and things were already going better by the end of the week.Ive made some new goals in thinking about the time I have left. Heavenly Father opened my eyes to a few things this week. Im very blessed to be a missionary and have these experiences. I have no doubts. I know its true. God loves us. We are His children. He listens to us through prayer. He listened to the prayer of Joseph Smith and through him the church was restored. Its amazing what one prayer can do. I love you all so much! Thank you for your love and prayers.Love,The Sisterps you can call at about 8-9 my time on Sunday. So I guess that would be when you get home from church. My number is 607-513-097. Im excited to talk to you.

No comments: