Friday, June 26, 2009

Emily - Vigo LAST

6.22.09

Hello my dear family...
Wow where do I start. I really cant believe that this is my last time writing an email from Spain. As you can imagine my emotions have been pretty wacked. Its hard to take all of this in. I had an absolutely fabulous final week in the mission. It will be impossible to tell you everything that happened this week but I will try to get in the best ones.
Yesterday we finally taught Diana and Arturo together. My last chance to share the 1st lesson was with them. Their store was opened but we all sat together behind the cash register on pink princess chairs. It was very hot and sunny yesterday so everyone was at the beach and we didnt have to many interruptions. We compared the apostles and prophet to a captain and his marinos in a boat. The prophet is like the captian and the apostles are his helpers but what happens if they get thrown over board and all of us are left on the boat? Some think we should go to the north, others think the south and some say we should stay put. Everyone is confused and we dont have anyone to guide us. That is exactly what happend after Christ and his apostles were rejected and killed. Everyone left in their own saftey boat and no one knew which was the right way to go until Joseph Smith was called as a prophet to restore the truth. I loved their comment after we finished teaching everything they said, "wow Ive never heard of this before, its very interesting." When they make a comment like that you KNOW that they understood the apostasy and restoration. Thats not even the best part...after I shared the first vision Arturo told us that "yo la habia vivido" like the message sounded familiar to him. He told us that has only happened one other time in his life. I told him very clearly that it was familiar to him because its true. He prayed at the end and I was almost in tears. He prayed for us that we would be able to share more with them and that more people would listen to the message. He prayed for his marriage and the store. I love hearing pure prayers. He really was talking to his Heavenly Father about what was going on in his mind. I asked them to pray together about the message. I left floating. Im going to write my testimony in a BOM and give it to them before I leave.
I think what I love most about them is that they arent ashamed to be with us at all. Everyone always sees us with Diana and they always ask her who we are. She tells them very clearly "son mis amigas de la Iglesia de Jesucriso de Los Santos de Los Ultimos Dias." We live right by their store so before they leave at night they timbre us and we wave to them as they drive off on their moto.
Because they took me out to eat American food we had to eat food from my companions country too. On Saturday they took us out to eat again for carne asada and it was delicious. We ate octopus as like the starter plate and I actually liked it. Wow they have really treated us well and I sure love them. They are coming to the tren station tomorrow to see me off. One day Im going to come back to Spain to see them sealed for eternity.
I stopped by to see Manuel and Ana yesterday to say bye. She made me arepas and oj one last time. They make me so sad. I bore my testimony to them of Jesus Christ and how through him we can be forgiven and forgive. They have so much hate in their hearts. I shared the verse in Matt that says love them that hate you and also the verse where Christ says forgive them because they dont know what they are doing. We suffer when we dont forgive more than the person that caused us pain. Ana´s eyes filled up with tears as I testified to her of the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that we can be forgiven and forgive and truly be healed. I want that so badly for them. Manuel told me that my time with him has had a positive effect on their lives. He said that he isnt sure where the force comes from but he felt a peace and happiness when he came to church. One day that man will learn to think with science and faith. As I left Ana came running out the door and gave me a big hug. I told her that I loved her. When I hugged her I realized that she doesnt get hugs. Im probably the only person that hugs her with true love in my heart. As she hugged me it felt like to me that she was starving for a hug. It was almost like she didnt know how to hug but she wanted so badly to know how. I pray with all of my heart that someday her circumstances will allow her to receive the gospel so that at some point in her life she can feel true joy and peace. Its amazing how even just a hug can help someone so much. She has also helped me realize to keep loving and keep trying even when it seems like they dont want it. Really the problem is they just dont know how to receive it. We keep loving and serving as Christ would.
On Friday the jovenes had a talent show and asked us to participate. We did the makarena with scarves tied around our waists. The Elders even danced with us and all of the members were laughing hysterically. Missionaries dont really know how to dance. I was laughing so hard through the whole thing because it made me realize how much of a WEIRDO Ive become.
We went to another church on Wednesday with an investigator. It was quite thee experience I tell you all about it later. I will say that Im grateful to know that the still small voice only can be heard when we are reverent.
Im so grateful for my mission. Im so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ. I want you all to know that I know without a doubt in my mind that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and the Son Jesus Christ. Throught the Prophet the truth was restored to the earth. I know that I am a representative of his church. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Through prayer confusion with cease and we can find the truth.
I love you all so much. Thank you for helping me become a missionary. This experience has truly changed my life.
I guess I will see you in a couple days...cant believe it.
Love,
The Sister
HAPPY FATHERS DAY MY DEAR POPS! SORRY I CANT CALL. I GUESS I WILL JUST COME HOME AND SEE YOU INSTEAD AND GIVE YOU A BIG KICK IN THE PANTS.

1 comment:

Bill @ www.InmanFineArts.com said...

Thanks Emily and Logan for allowing me to share occassionally in your mission experience.

I had tears come to my eyes Emily to think of those who go through this amazing existence without the joy of hugs or affection or words to let them know they are loved.

I'm so glad to read that you two love your missions. I did as well. You will find that life will continue to be just as grand as your time in the field.

Bill Inman