Monday, June 8, 2009

Emily - Vigo Week 23

6.8.09

Hello Family...
Well its weird to think that I will only be writing an email from Spain two more times. Its getting harder and harder to sleep at night. I have so much on my mind. I hate the process of going home just as much as pops hated the dropping off process. I want to just get on a plane here my last day and fly home. They want us to stay focused but we start the going home process a week or more before we leave. I would seriously love to just get on a plane the 25th of June and head home.
Guess what I know it may be hard to believe but it started raining again. Remember how I told you it got hot well that lasted about two days. Today is a big rain storm with lots of wind. I think everyday pday of my mission it has rained. My comp. said that it has rained the most here out of all of her cities. Ive seen so much rain since I got I dont know where its rained the most. We came home last night soaked from head to toe.
We had a visit this week with Dana, Andrea and Adrian. Remember the three that came with us to church. We taught them about prayer. Its amazing how hard it is for people to pray. Especially when their religion has taught them that it is something other than a conversation with their Heavenly Father. They pretend to cry and repeat weird phrases. We went through every step of a prayer with them and tried to help them think of a prayer like a conversation with God. It went really well. As we were talking about the things we can ask for Adrian stopped me in the middle of the lesson and in portuguese said how do I stop smoking. Sometimes you wonder if people are really listening but when he asked that I knew that through the spirit he felt the desire to change. I looked at him straight in the eyes and told him that he was a son of God and that he loves him and wants to help him. We told him that prayer is a great start. They can pray as a family and individually for strength to quit smoking. When I told him how much God loved him and wanted to help him he turned his head and when he looked back at me his eyes were full of tears. We left them with the compromiso to pray together and individually. We also told them that we are praying for them and yesterday I fasted for him. Its amazing how when we feel a good spirit its makes us want to change and do better. Its going to be a hard process for him but I know through God´s help he can stop. People have so much guilt and living the commandments gives us freedom and peace.
We had a visit this week with an older Spanish couple. They are really good people. We sat around a table with them and visited for a while before the lesson. I felt for a minute like I was in St. George. We watch Finding Happiness with them and then asked them what part they liked the most. We ended up talking about God´s creations and a lot of what is says in the proclamation to the family. Its frustrating sometimes when people agree with everything we teach but wont come to church and dont progress because they are afraid of "religions". I wish they could understand that this is Christ´s church, that is why you agree with everything and it makes so much sense. It wasnt organized by man. I understand why they are afraid of religion but I pray that someday that fear will break here so they can receive the gospel.
Diana and Artuo our friends that own the candy shop next door have pretty much become part of my family. On Saturday they took us in taxi to a mall that has an American Resturaunt and we all ate together. The name of it is Hollywood and its like Chilis. It was the first time I have eaten food like from home since I left. They were so excited for me to be able to eat something that was familiar. We are teaching Diana in the back of the store with Artuo works which stinks because I want them to learn together. But this next Monday they invited us to go with them on a ferry to some islands and told us that we could teach them together out there. We are going to share the restauracion with them and Im so excited. Artuo told Diana that "son distintas" or distinct-is that a word in english? Anways it has been wonderful getting to know them. Its amazing to me to think that it all started years ago when her father accepted the missionaries into their home. She remembered seeing a blue book and asked me about it one day. I cant explain to you how much I love them. They have been prepared to receive the gospel. I dont know when but they will someday, I know it. I appreciate them so much. Its nice to know that they are right next door and they actually care about us. Ive never gone out to eat with anyone but missionaries my whole mission. They really treat us just like family. Its been such a joy and blessing to be a part of their lives in the last couple of weeks.
I stopped a lady in the street the other day from Venezuela. She told me that a friend had already talked to her about the church and she would like to come and see how it is one Sunday. Remember Teresa the lady we helped when my greenie first got here. Well she lives in A coruna now and a friend she made there is getting baptized this month. She talks to everyone about the gospel. Ive had a lot of dreams the last couple nights of people I want to talk to when I come home. Im so thankful that my mission has helped me to not be afraid to talk to people about the most important message in the world. It has also helped me to learn how to talk to people in a normal manner with out throwing up everything on them. I love that quote in PMG that says like something they say will allow you to teach a gospel truth as we converse and listen to people. Everyone has preguntas del alma. Im so excited to take what Ive learned here and apply it to my life.
The gospel of Jesus Christ allows people to change and feel more at peace. I know it is familiar to them because it was first presented to us all when we lived with Heavenly Father. I know this is Christ´s Church and as we apply the principles we taught or lives and everyones can change. I love my Savior and I know that He lives.
I love you all!
Love,
The Sister

No comments: